The Government of the Comoros affirmed its willingness to promote gender equality and equity in its Poverty Reduction and Growth Strategy Paper (PRGSP), updated in September 2009 and subsequently converted into a plan of action.
Strategic priority 3 consists of a programme to promote social cohesion, solidarity and consolidation of peace, with two main objectives:
- To develop capacity to analyze and respond to social cohesion issues through a programme entitled “Reinstating the role of Comorian women in decision-making and the promotion of social cohesion”;
- To develop national systems to protect and promote human rights and gender equality and equity. This second objective is pursued through six activities:
- Updating the National Policy on Gender Equality and Equity
- Implementing the Policy
- Enforcing the Family Code
- Setting up the National Commission for Human Rights and Freedoms
- Creating and strengthening counseling and protection services for victims of violence
- Boosting the capacity of the Government departments responsible for protecting and promoting gender and human rights.
Source of Information
CEDAW/C/COM/1-4 para. 61