Lifetime Physical and/or Sexual Intimate Partner Violence :20 % (1)
Physical and/or Sexual Intimate Partner Violence in the last 12 months : 16 % (2)
Lifetime Non-Partner Sexual Violence : Official National Statistics Not Available
Child Marriage :37 % (3)
Gender Inequality Index Rank :107 (4)
Global Gender Gap Index Rank :97 (5)
(1) Proportion of ever-partnered women aged 15-49 years experiencing intimate partner physical and/or sexual violence at least once in their lifetime. Source: Database compiled by the United Nations Statistics Division from Demographic and Health Surveys (DHS) and Reproductive Health Surveys (RHS). (ICF International, 2014 and CDC, 2014).
(2) Proportion of ever-partnered women aged 15-49 years experiencing intimate partner physical and/or sexual violence in the last 12 months. Source: Centro de Estudios Sociales y Demográficos (CESDEM) y ICF International, 2014. Encuesta Demográfica y de Salud 2013. Santo Domingo, República Dominicana: CESDEM y ICF International.
(3) Percentage of women aged 20 to 24 years who were first married or in union before age 18. Source: UNICEF global databases 2016, based on DHS, MICS and other nationally representative surveys.
(4) The Gender Inequality Index is a composite measure reflecting inequality between women and men in three different dimensions: reproductive health (maternal mortality ratio and adolescent birth rate), empowerment (share of parliamentary seats held by women and share of population with at least some secondary education), and labour market participation (labour force participation rate). Source: United Nations Development Programme, Human Development Report 2016.
(5) The Global Gender Gap Index benchmarks national gender gaps on economic, political, education and health criteria. Source: World Economic Forum, the Global Gender Gap Report 2016.