According to Article 159a of the Criminal Code, an individual who recruits, transports, hides or admits individuals or groups of people in view of using them for sexual activities, forceful labour or begging, dispossession of bodily organs, tissue, cell or body fluid or holding them in forceful subjection, regardless of their consent, shall be punished by deprivation of liberty of two to eight years and a fine from BGN three thousand to twelve thousand.
Where the act under Paragraph 1 has been committed:
1. with regard to an individual who has not turned eighteen years of age;
2. through the use of coercion or by misleading the individual;
3. through kidnapping or illegal imprisonment;
4. through abuse of a status of dependency;
5. through the abuse of power;
6. through promising, giving away or receiving benefits;
7. by an official during or in connection with the fulfilment of his/her official duties,
punishment shall be imprisonment from three to ten years and a fine from BGN ten thousand to twenty thousand.
(3) Where the act under para 1 has been committed in respect to a pregnant woman to the purpose of selling her child, the punishment shall be imprisonment from three to fifteen years and a fine from BGN twenty thousand to fifty thousand.
Source of Information
The Government of Bulgaria, National Review on the Beijing +20, para. 98
For more information please click here and here.