The Miessakit Association aims to support men's mental, psychological and social growth, to promote interfamilial interaction and family life, to strengthen the foundation for gender equality among men, and to develop the structures for solidarity and mutual help between men furthering these aims.
The main activities ofThe Miessakit Association are:
- men's groups (Miesryhmätoiminta)
- help in divorce crises (Erosta Elossa)
- work to support fathers (Isätoiminta)
- help for men in finding an alternative to intimate partner violence (Lyömätön Linja)
- work to support immigrant men (Vieraasta Veljeksi)
- societal influence from the male point of view
- male-specific training
These groups meet once a week under the leadership of two advisers. A group is formed twice a year and it meets 30 times during its tenure. The adaptation of a member to a group follows the non-stop principle. Each group has their own task. One group is, for example, responsible for helping men find an alternative to intimate partner violence and is specialized in taking into account the special needs of immigrant men in this regard.
Source of Information
Response of the Government of Finland to the questionnaire on violence against women, May 2009