The goal of the National Sexual Assault Policy (2005) is to improve health care after sexual assault for women, children and men in South Africa.
The objectives of the policy are as follows:
- To establish an institutional framework within the Department of Health to guide the collaboration and cooperation between different Directorates.
- To establish designated, specialised, accessible, 24 hour health care service for the hollistic management of patients to improve health status after sexual assault.
- To operate as part of an intersectoral service, establishing and maintaining links with the community and key stakeholders at all levels of government and service provision e.g. Department of Safety and Security, South African Police Services (SAPS), Department of Justice or Department of Social Development and social worker.
- To provide training structures, guidelines and standards.
- To utilise monitoring and evaluation as a tool to ensure quality of sexual assault services.
Source of Information
Department of Health