The Cambodian National Council for Women was established by the Royal Decree No. NS/RKT/0201/036 dated 14th February 2001 and this Royal Decree was amended by the Royal Decree No. NS/RKS/0805/388 dated 30 August 2005 which determines the creation of the Cambodian National Council for Women, abbreviated as CNCW.
The CNCW is the mechanism for coordinating and providing advice to the Royal Government of Cambodia on matters related to the promotion of Cambodian women's status, roles and welfare of women to reduce and eliminate of all forms of discrimination against women.
Her Majesty the Queen is the Honorary President of CNCW, the Prime Minister is the Honorary Vice-President, and the Minister of Women's Affairs is the President.
The duties of the CNCW are as follows:
- Assisting the Royal Government to coordinate, follow-up, and provide recommendations to support and promote the implementation of national policies, laws, orders, and measures related to the promotion of status, roles, and social welfare of Cambodian women;
- Assisting the Royal Government in following-up the implementation of international treaties concerning the rights of women and the implementation of national laws related to the suppression of human trafficking and sexual exploitation, the suppression of domestic violence and protection of victims and the provision of laws related to women in order to provide opinions, raise recommendations or propose amendments to enhance the status of women;
- Facilitate the preparation of a national report on the implementation of the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women in the Kingdom of Cambodia and examine, inform the Royal Government to make decision before final submission to the United Nations;
- Monitor and promote gender mainstreaming into national policies and national development programs of the Royal Government of Cambodia;
- Prepare annual reports on activities performed by Cambodian National Council for Women, for submission to the Royal Government of Cambodia;
- Examine and decide on the internal regulations of the CNCW.
For more information on the CNCW, please click here.
Source of Information
Website of the Cambodian National Council for Women (CNCW)