The National Plan of Action Against Gender Based Violence (2010) adopted strategic interventions which were implemented using multi-cultural and multi-dimensional approaches. Its long-term goal (to which the 2010 objectives would contribute to) was to have a Nepal free from gender-based violence where women, men, girls and boys can realise their full potential and live a life of dignity. The aim of this Action Plan was to present the Government's intentions for the year 2010 in a single policy document.
The plan covered six objectives and specific activities, each of which was important in its own right but which also complemented and reinforced one another and addressed aspects of both "Response to GBV" and "Prevention of GBV."
A. Response to GBV includes the following objectives:
1. Ensure legal and institutional reform and implementation for improved access to justice for survivors of gender-based violence
2. Establish/strengthen community based and outreach services for protection of survivors of Gender Based Violence
3. Strengthen the health sector for effective and efficient response to GBV
B. Prevention of GBV includes the following objectives:
4. Raise evidence based awareness against GBV and promote zero tolerance
5. Facilitate economic and social empowerment of women and girls to fight Gender Based Violence
6. Ensure coordination, communication and monitoring among those involved in the implementation of the plan.
A longer-term plan will be developed based on the learning from the implementation of this one year plan.
Source of Information
Office of the Prime Minister and Council of Ministers