In 2017, in order to advocate for greater women’s rights and promote gender equality, the Punjab Commission on the Status of Women (PCSW) spearheaded a number of awareness raising campaigns. These include:
• In 2017, 102 awareness events were conducted under the “16 Days of Activism against gender based violence” campaign in collaboration with district and provincial departments.
• To spread awareness about Punjab Women’s Helpline, a total of 42,159 stickers were posted in buses, on bus stations as well as in colleges/universities and public offices, across Punjab.
• A youth-based campaign was launched by the PCSW in 33 Catholic Schools in Lahore to raise awareness about women-related issues among 9th and 10th grade students.
• Awareness sessions have been conducted in 30 schools in district Lahore. In addition to the above, regular legal awareness seminars are conducted by the PCSW with students at Lahore College for Women University, Punjab University and TEVTA Colleges in Lahore, on rights of women in Punjab, and redress mechanisms set up by the Government.
• PCSW has set up district-level Youth Leaders Networks, consisting of female youth leaders from 50 female colleges in Punjab. In addition, 50 legal awareness seminars have been conducted in girls’ and boys’ colleges in Punjab.
• In 2016-17, the Women Development Department initiated establishment of career counselling centres in Government Colleges from Women for guidance of upcoming students in line with future needs of Industry.
• In collaboration with Higher Education Department 202 career counselling centers are working in female colleges. During 2016-17 Domestic Workers Training has been imparted to girls aged between 16-25 years. 1,600 Girls have been benefitted from this training. This not only enhanced their capacity to work but also improved their livelihood.
Source of Information