The "Stop violence against women, including domestic violence!" campaign was launched on May 24, 2007 and ran through April 1, 2008.
The campaign contained the following elements:
1. Opening conference The opening conference of the Campaign was organized in the salon of the Hungarian Parliament on 24th of May 2007. It was opened by Ms. Edit Rauh, State Secretary responsible for equal opportunities, and 100 participants took part in the event. The aim of the conference was to introduce the Campaign to Combat Domestic Violence against Women.
2. Webpage From April 31, 2007, refreshed continuously, containing: (i) Hungarian documents which are issued during the Campaign, (ii) developments in legislation and law enforcement and (iii) useful links for the victims, supporters, legislators and lawyers.
3. Award for the press "Purple Ribbon Prize"
4. Road show The Geopolitical Institute Public Utility Foundation public benefits organization and the Crisis Centers in cooperation with the local press (televisions, radios, newspapers and electronic press) using the material of the Campaign, organized local round-table discussions and press conferences in 19 counties and in the capital form May 30, 2007 through February 28, 2008. The participants were the representatives from the local press, experts and the staff of the Crisis Centers, judges, prosecutors, NGO's. It was remarkable that experts actually dealing with this issue were highly represented. Employees form the local police participated actively in these programs. The main target group of the National Campaign was the representatives of the local press. Through them we tended to mobilize the local media to deal with this issue and to recognize its importance. We had sent them an edited DVD beforehand and initiated a report or discussion on domestic violence.
5. Publications Parliamentary handbook, Information sheets for the road show
6. Closing Conference
Source of Information
Response of the Government of Hungary to the questionnaire on violence against women