The Gender Equality and Women’s Development Policy (GEWD) 2019-2021 was endorsed and launched in February 2019 during a Partnership Dialogue and again during the 2019 International Women’s Day celebrations. The policy’s vision is “All Kiribati men and women reach their full potential.” The GEWD Policy has five priority areas being:
• To progressively implement a gender mainstreaming approach within all Kiribati Ministries and Departments to achieve gender equality
• To improve the economic empowerment of women
• To support stronger, informed families
• To improve women’s political representation and leadership
• To eliminate sexual and gender-based violence.
An implementation plan will be developed in the next few months with financial and technical assistance from the Australian Government.
Source of Information